Patient Physical Therapy Services
Cancer/Oncology Physical Therapy
- Regain shoulder range of motion and limit scar formation following breast cancer and reconstruction surgery
- Assess and educate patients about lymphedema
- Increase muscle mass, strength and endurance
- Restore balance and return to functional daily activities
- Prevent and reduce cancer-related fatigue and pain
- Improve quality of life and physical fitness
Dana Winrow has over a decade of experience working with oncology patients and oncology teams. She has initiated pre surgery education protocols for patients undergoing breast cancer treatment. Dana has helped patients with pain, fatigue and range of motion restrictions return to their functional activities. She has helped patients return to function as soon as medically advisable, as well as patients that have been suffering from pain and discomfort for many years.
- Compression bandaging during and between treatments to prevent fluid from accumulating
- Exercise with and without compression to increase fluid movement
- Manual lymphatic drainage to facilitate fluid movement
- Skin care to decrease infections
- Education on pneumatic compression devices including advantages and precautions
- Fitting, selecting and finding appropriate compression devices for each individual. Consultation with vendors.
- Use of kinesiotaping to facilitate fluid movement
Dana Winrow is a certified lymphedema therapist and has been working in the lymphedema field for over 10 years. Dana is trained in Vodder techniques and Complete Decongestive Therapy. She has completed Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) training and has received Lymphedema Association of North America Certifications. Dana has attended the last 3 National Lymphedema Network Conferences and has completed extensive continuing education. She is up to date on all the leading products and compression materials in the lymphedema field. She has helped many women with breast cancer pre and post: surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and reconstruction. Dana has also helped individuals with swelling in their: chest, abdomen, legs, head, neck and genitals. Dana empowers people to return to their functional activities and be as comfortable as possible during all challenges and stages of life.
Facility Consultation & Program Development in Lymphedema & Cancer
- Educate/in-service staff and therapists working in inpatient, outpatient, nursing home, and rehab settings on how to incorporate edema/lymphedema/fluid management into their treatment
- Educate staff/in-service staff on oncology precautions for patients before, during and after oncology treatment
- Train and educate lymphedema staff to implement their certification skill in clinical settings, including hospitals, nursing homes, rehab and outpatient facilities
- Assist with facility specific paperwork and billing
- Consultation on treatment plans for individual complex cases
- Develop pre and post-surgery assessment and education protocols
- Build, sustain and expand lymphedema programs
Dana has over 16 years of clinical practice with experience in multiple treatment settings. She has clinical expertise in neurological conditions, balance retraining, post-surgical care, wound care, oncology and sensory issues. For the last 10 years Dana practiced as a certified lymphedema therapist, working at recognized lymphedema programs in both California and Pennsylvania. Dana has led lymphedema program development and expansion, evolving with the changing health care system. She has trained and mentored coworkers and colleagues. Dana has worked with oncology teams, wound centers, home health nurses, and physicians. She has conducted seminars for therapy staff and the community, helped run support groups and provided in-services to nursing and other medical staff.